Sharing the love of food and trying new recipes...

Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Midsummer strawberry cake (Jordgubbstårta)




Summer is coming and strawberries too! Last night I saw local Swiss strawberries at the supermarket so I bought them in order to make a nice strawberry cake for my friend's birthday today. I remembered that my Swedish grandfather used to love cake with strawberries and cream in the summer (i.e. Midsommar jordgubbstårta) so I thought I should make one like that too.

I made a classical spongecake (same as for Toscakaka and chocolate chip cake), sliced it in two, filled the middle with strawberry jam, cream and strawberries, and then covered the whole cake with lots of cream and whole strawberries. What could go wrong with strawberries, cream, and a little sugar? Well not much I can tell you, so if you're hosting a party anytime in the summer I suggest you try this recipe :-)

Recipe for the strawberry cake:

800 g strawberries
7-8 dl cream
powdersugar
strawberry jam
1 spongecake


Spongecake:
2 eggs
2 dl sugar
50 g butter, melted
1.25 dl milk
3 dl flour
1.5 tsp baking powder
2 tsp vanilla sugar

Beat eggs and sugar until white and foamy. Melt butter and add milk, heat/cool to 37C. Add butter, milk, and dry ingredients to sugar-egg mix and mix until incorporated. Transfer to a buttered+floured springform and bake in the oven 30 min at 175C.


Let the cake cool down completely and then slice it 2 layers (you can do 3 layers also if you like). Whip up the cream with 3-4 tsp powdersugar (to your taste). Spread strawberry jam on the lower layer, then add a generous layer of whipped cream and finally add a layer of sliced strawberries. Cover the cake with the upper part of the spongecake. (if you're having 3 layers repeat the 1st filling). Cover the whole cake with whipped cream and decorate with whole strawberries.

No comments:

Post a Comment